Friday, March 13, 2009

More of My Story

Part Two: The Worker
Chapter Four: Meet Indigo

Kit and Maggie lay in the shade of the barn, listening to the radio and relaxing. All the morning chores had been done, and now the only thing left to do was enjoy the beautiful day.

"Mmmmm, don't you love this song?" asked Kit, staring at the blue sky, and tapping her fingers to the beat. A gentle rock song was pouring out of the radio.

"Yeah, sure." answered Maggie, who wasn't really listening. She didn't love music the way Kit did.

"You're not really listening, are you?" asked Kit sitting up.

Maggie pushed her shaggy blond hair out of her eyes, and giggled. "No, not really!"

"Well you should! I think you'd like it, listen, see, he's singing about horses, it's really..."

But a pickup truck pulled into the driveway, cutting her off. Behind the truck was a small horse trailer.

"Hey!" called Kit, jumping to her feet, "What's that all about? We aren't expecting a new horse are we?"

"I don't think so." answered Maggie "There's only one spare stall left. Mom says we're just about all full, can't take in another very easily."

Jen, who heard the truck pull in, at once appeared in the yard.

"Howdy there, Jen!" called a woman stepping out of the cab. "How are you?"

It was Lauren Wellch, a horse-breeder who lived just a ways down the road.

"Lauren! It's good to see you!" cried Jen, "I'm good, thanks, you?"

"Oh alright." answered Lauren "Busy summer as usual."

Jen nodded.

"Every year it gets a little harder." said Lauren "Especially with the market for horses so unpredictable."

"I know." said Jen grimly "The only things for sure in life are death and taxes." she shook her head. "Anyway, what brings you up? I haven't seen you since the fair last fall! Time sure does fly."

"Well" said Lauren, "I came to ask a big favor of you."

"What?" asked Jen, wondering what it could be. Most likely she needed her tractor for the weekend, or some help with the haying.

"Did you ever hear about Rick Bowing?" asked Lauren

Jen frowned. "The name sure is familiar."

"Yeah, had a farm not too far from here, a way up North, he just passed away a few weeks ago. A fine man, but he left without a Will." she sighed "So all his horses, he had three, got dumped on me. I was able to sell of two of them, fine Morgan mares, but the third one, well, I can't even seem to give him away. Nobody will take him, not even for free!"

Jen laughed. "Why not?"

"He's a wild thing, Jen. Abused. Mistreated. Weak. He hates all people. And I mean he hates them! Rick took him in as a rescue, but died not two weeks after. This horse, he's a real mess. I can't do anything with him."

"That's awful." said Jen sadly, she hated to hear of good animals mistreated, "But how does this all tie in with me?"

"You're the only person I haven't asked yet, do you want him, Jen? I don't suppose you do."

Jen frowned. "What are you planning to do if nobody takes him in?"

"To be honest, Jen, I'm planning on putting him down, if I can't find him a good and steady home. He's a disaster. I don't have the time or money for a horse like that."

Jen nodded. "I'm not much better off, Lauren."

"I know, Jen. I know. I don't want to have to put him down, it's not his fault he was mistreated, but it would take a real miracle to fix him."

Kit and Maggie had been listening in the whole time from the front steps. They both at once shared a look. And Kit flew off the steps to the driveway. "Jen!" she pleaded.

"What is it, Kit?"

"Can't we take him? Please?"

"Oh, Kit, I don't know..."

Kit's eyes flashed with fear. "I can't stand the thought of a poor little horse dying just because some human ruined him! Please, Jan! Can't we take him?" she paused "I'd do all the work, I'd try to train him again. I promise."

Jen shook her head. "Kit, it's not as easy as you think."

But Kit seemed perfectly serious about it all. "I'd come early every day to take care of him. Even on Sundays, I'd come right after Church."

"Is this the Kit I've heard so much about?" asked Lauren.

"Yes, yes it is." said Jen, almost proudly, taking a look at the eager little girl. "Alright, alright, we'll take a look at him, Lauren." she cast Kit a glance, "Just a look, mind you. We'll see what we're dealing with, then I'll decide."

Kit grinned, and followed Lauren to the back of the trailer.

The horse, a little gelding, was a sorry sight. He was nothing but skin and bones, and his coat, which must have been once a very beautiful red, was matted and patchy. His black mane had been cropped short to his neck, and his tail was a tangle.

The horse was short, not much bigger then a pony, though he had very long legs.

"Awwwww." said Kit quietly "Poor thing."

"Yes, I know." said Lauren sadly

"How old is he?" asked Jen

"Almost ten. Young eh? He was raised roughly, that's for sure." she sighed "It'll only make it even harder to try and fix."

"Yes." agreed Jen "Do you have any idea what breeds he has in him?"

"Not a clue." said Lauren "Nobody knows anything about him really. He's a sickly little thing though."

Kit slowly stretched out her hand to the small horse, trying to pet his nose. The horse at once gave a squeal, and tried to bite her hand, Kit pulled it away just in time.

"He hates all humans." said Lauren "He thinks we're all out to hurt him, just like his old master." She shook her head, "It is a shame, no doubt he once was a bright little thing."

There was a still silence, then Jen shrugged. "All right, Lauren, I'll take him."

Kit's eyes shone.

"I don't know what I'll do with him" said Jen "I can't wait to see what you have planned, Kit, bit I'll take the little thing. What's his name anyway?"

"His halter said, Indigo." said Lauren "That's what I've been calling him."

"Jen nodded. "All right then, Indigo, you've found a home."

Indigo squealed, and tried to bite Jen.

"You've got your hands full." said Lauren, looking at Kit.

"I know." said Kit.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woah! I love it! Boy, he's ficty! Or however you spell it, lol.

M.C. said...

I hope Kit trains him well! Wow, Kateri, you're so rapid with your stories. I wish I was. I still have to discuss Elderin with Thomas, and start rewriting it for the dozenth time! It'll happen though, I promise.

Kateri said...

Thanks girls! Emily, I think you mean "feisty". But don't worry, I knew what you meant! :-)

Yeah, they go pretty fast I guess. But, you know, I keep these stories in my head for months and months before I write them, that way, when I do get around to it, I already have everything planned.

I was planning to write this one ages ago!

Can't wait for more from you guys! TTYL See You.
-K

BenTheBear said...

Man, I love this story i wish it was already a book so i wouldn't have to wait to keep reading it, Post More QUICK!!!!

btw did you get your user name BlackMagic(2) from the Walter Farley story's about the Black Stallion ?

i have only read two of them, but one day i want to have every single one of them on my shelf,i like the first one best so far

(Sorry really long comment)

Anonymous said...

Oh, hehe, I did mean feist, Kateri! I'm such a bad speller lol. Yeah, post more quick!

Anonymous said...

I mean feisty lol

Anonymous said...

Thank you Guys!!! I'm so glad you like it!!

I use the name "BlackMagic2" on Howrse because if I ever get a horse, I want to name it Black Magic. Though, yes, I did read The Black Stallion Books, (all of them I think), and I love them!