Monday, May 18, 2009

At Last! (And There's More Coming After This Chapter!)

Part 3: Just Kit
Chapter Eight: The Storm

Jen and Julia were out eating lunch at a local restaurant. The two rarely took a day off, and this was one of those rare days. John, Jen's husband, had forced her to get out to have some fun, saying he'd see to all the chores.

"Lunch is on me." said Julia firmly "You work so hard, Jen!"

Jen laughed and shrugged. "I don't mind it. Honestly I don't. Besides it's Kit who works the hardest these days. If anyone deserves to get lunch out, it's her."

"I know. But you know, she'd insist to pay for everything herself!"

"True." said Jen with a smile.

"You know she's working part-time at another farm." said Julia, after she placed her order.

"Really?" asked Jen surprised "Where does she find the time?"

"Yes, crazy I know. From what I hear it's the usual, picking vegetables, herding sheep and cattle, milking cows, you know. She says the pay is pretty good."

"What's she doing with the money? Do you know?"

"Saving." said Julia

"For what?"

"What do you think, Jen? A horse!"

"Ah yes, of course."

"God bless her." said Julia smiling "Think about it, Jen, the girl wants a horse. Badly. So what does she do? She doesn't go beg one out of her parents, no, she goes and gets another job."

"I know. I know." said Jen "I've told you before, she's rare one."

Their lunches came, and the two carried on for a few minutes talking with the waitress, who was a friend of theirs. When the waitress left, the two friends got back to their conversation.

"Where's Josh working these days?" asked Jen

"Oh all over." replied Julia "I can't get him to stop working! Right now he's with the local hard-ware store. It's all going well. He saves every penny." Julia sighed, "Jen, I've got something big to tell you. Something I'm not telling everyone right away."

Jen looked concerned. "What is it?"

"Henry lost his job." Henry was Julia's husband, the one who had struck it so well in Texas with the oil drills. "And it looks like we're in for some harder times."

"Oh, Julia! I'm so sorry!"

Julia nodded grimly. "Don't worry, I'm not letting go of any of the horses. Yet. I just wanted you to know that their rent may be coming in a little later then usual."

"Julia, you know I don't mind."

"I know."

The two finished their lunches and turned to coffee.

"Hey Julia, I've got a question for you."

"Yes?"

"Well, you see, there's this real sweet, gentle, mare up for sale. Topington Farm, I think, and Maggie is simply falling in love with her. You know, her birthday is coming up. And, even though the mare is a bit too expensive, I'm thinking about maybe getting her."

"And your question?"

"Well...it's just that..."

"You feel bad for Kit." answered Julia for her.

"Yes!" cried Jen sadly "If there was ever a girl that deserved a horse it was her! If I had the money I'd get her one too. But the thing is, I don't. I don't really have a spare penny. And I can't just give her Indigo, you know as well as I, she can't afford to care for a horse now. She hasn't got the money, you don't, and I don't." Jen sighed "I just feel awful. She can ride so well, better then Maggie, but she can't pay for a horse."

"I know." said Julia sadly "I wish there was something we could do. You can just see how much it hurts her not having one. It hurts me seeing her hurt."

The conversation then turned to other things. Like the how crazy the prices of hay were and who was doing what that summer.

Before they knew it, hours had passed. They got up to leave, and were soon on their way home. Suddenly, from out of nowhere, a huge storm began.

Black clouds covered the sky and torrents of rain fell. It was so bad, Julia was forced to pull over on the side of the road. Lighting crackled in the sky and wretched wind began.

"The horses!" cried Jen "I told John to leave them all out in the pastures!"

Lighting lit the dark sky. "We have to get to the barn! Now!"

Julia at once began to drive back to the barn, but it was slow going. The thought of the horses out in such awful weather upset them both. The storm only grew stronger as they forced their way down the road, hoping and praying the horses would all be alright.

When they did finally reach the stable, the pastures stood empty. Not a single horse was out. Jen ran through the rain to the barn, but the heavy wooden doors were closed against the storm.

"But John said he was leaving right after the morning chores!" cried Jen, funbling with her key.

When Jen and Julia did get in, the horses were all locked in their stalls, the lights were off, and it was very dark, but when the lighting flashed, they saw Kit asleep agaist Indigo's stall door. A lead rope and halter in her hands and her pants and boots were wet and muddy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow! How exciting! I can't wait to read more! Love it, Kateri! Post more as soon as you can please! <3 :)

M.C. said...

You write so well, Kit Cat!

Kateri said...

Aww, really? Thanks! Yeah, sure, I'll try to post more today.

BenTheBear said...

i Wantz More , plz.....