Monday, February 2, 2009

31

chapter 31

The Captain of the Black King called off his men, and readied himself for the duel.

"Jamie!" cried Johnny "This is a fool thing to do! Everyone knows Captain King is the best swordsmen in the whole world. Nobody has ever beaten him. Even Captain Frite refused to fight him, knowing he'd never see the sun again if he ever did. Nobody has ever come anywhere close to even cutting Captain King."

"There's a first time for everything." said Jamison holding up his sword "And isn't better for just one man to die, then the whole lot of us? Johnny, you know as well as I, that our crew has no chance against theirs. They'd beat in no time. So what if Captain King is a legend swordsman? Would it not be amazing to beat him? And should I loose, would it not be somewhat of an honor to die by a master like him?"

Sarah listened to all this from her hiding place. So that's why the Ransom's crew feared Captain King. Apparently he the best swordsman on the seas. Sarah shuddered. What if Jamie died?

"But, Jamie..." pleaded Johnny

"No, Johnny, I know what I'm doing."

"No what you're doing? Fighting Captain King? It's foolish, Jamie! But what I was going to say was... Jamison, what about Sarah? Have you thought about her?"

Jamison stopped all he was doing. "Look after her if I fall, Johnny boy." he said He then shook Johnny's hand, and nodded to the crew. Sarah watched, terrified in the bushes.

The two Captains stepped into the circle of men.

"You're a wild lad, that you are." said Captain King "Once I run you through you'll regret this foolish choice."

"It is not a foolish choice. Tis' the only chance my crew has. Why shouldn't, I, their Captain, have the honor of dueling you?"

"Is it not every man for himself? You could have fled, my boy, and left unharmed."

"Why do you tell me this?" asked Jamison, spitting in the dirt.

"I'm just letting everyone here know it was your choice to...die!" yelled the Captain drawing his sword and running at Jamison.

Jamison drew his sword. "To the death, Captain! To the death!"

"Your death, not mine." answered Captain King.

And the duel began.

Their swords flashed in the bright sunlight. In the beginning it was obvious Captain King wasn't trying his best.

"Stop playing with me, and really fight!" growled Jamison "For if I beat you, I want to know I've really beaten you."

"As you wish, lad." And Captain King picked up the pace.

Captain King was flawless in every move. Never could Jamison ever come near to touching him. No matter how hard he tried, his efforts never paid off. More then once, Jamison was cut with the Captain's blade. His whole left arm was soaked in blood. His lip was cut and bleeding, and his hair was soaked with sweat and blood, and caked with dirt. Then, in one single swift move, Captain King tripped Jamison, bringing him to his knees in the dirt.

Sarah gasped. She wanted to close her eyes to block out the awful scene.

"I could kill you right now, boy. Or, I could take you as my slave..." The Captain rambled on, not noticing Jamison reaching slowly for his dropped sword. Just a little further, he inched a tiny bit closer...Jamison grabbed the hilt...

"I don't know what would be better." said the Captain "Seeing your blood spilled upon the ground even more then it is now, or seeing you shackled in my hold, waiting for death, just so you won't have to feel the pain any more..."

"Or, I could kill you." said Jamison calmly. And he brought his sword down into the unsuspecting Captain with the last little strength he had.

Jamison staggered, and finally stood up. Sarah ran from behind the bushes and hugged him tightly, he fell onto her, not having the strength to stand.

The Black King's crew slunk off into the jungle, and their ship soon pulled out of the south bay into the sea.

"Are you going to be alright?" asked Sarah concerned.

"I'll be fine, lassie." said Jamison, then he turned to the his crew. "What are doing lazing around, men? I just won us that treasure! Go and git' it!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woah! How amazing! I can't beleive that! I could say 'How amazing!' for years! I'm so glad he won the duel!

Oh, you described the violents so well! I CAN'T wait for more!

Anonymous said...

Aww thank you, Emily!!!!

M.C. said...

Shudder. So violent! But really well described. I love how Jamie never wants anyone to care for him except Sarah. lol

Anonymous said...

Hehe! Yeah, I know! Thanks, girls!