Friday, February 27, 2009

New Short Story!!!

I want to take this time to sincerely apologize for my shocking lack of posts for the last, oh, 2 months!!! I'll try and do better, I promise!!! =] Here is a short story I'm working on, just for a bit of fun. Trust me, it's nothing fancy, but nonetheless, I'm having a lot of fun writing it!!! =)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Frantically, I searched my pockets, but to no avail. Dashing over to my knapsack which I had unceremoniously dumped onto the front doorstep after exiting the school bus, I rifled through its contents, tossing notebooks, old candy wrappers, pencils, and scrap paper onto the grass beside me. Finally, thumping onto the ground in despair, I had to accept the unhappy truth: the key was not to be found. I was stuck outside, the house securely locked and bolted. Muttering under my breath, I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket and dialed my father’s office number.
“Hello,” said the perky voice of my father’s secretary, “This is Dr. Muller’s office, how may I assist you?”
“Hi July, this is Caddie. Can I talk to my dad please? It’s important.” I closed my eyes in silent prayer. Please do not let him be in a business meeting, please do not let him be in a business meeting, I thought.
“Oh, I’m sorry Caddie, he’s in an important meeting right now and can’t be disturbed. Is there anything I can help you with?”
“Just tell him I called, ok? Bye,” I grumbled, frustration permeating through my body. Of course he’s in an important meeting, I thought, he always is.

With a sigh, I dialed my mother’s cell phone number. She was away on a business trip in Tokyo for the week, and I knew there wasn’t much point in calling her, but nevertheless, it was with relief that I heard her voice when she answered the phone.
“Hi Mom! I’m so glad I reached you!”
“Honey! How are you darling? Is anything the matter?”
“Oh, nothing serious…I’m locked out of the house though, and dad’s in an ‘important business meeting and must not be disturbed.’” I said, mimicking July’s high, girlish voice nearly to perfection.
“Oh, I’m sorry, honey. Knowing you’re father, he probably won’t get back to you for at least a few hours. Well, in the meantime, I think the best thing for you to do would be to go to Mrs. Perkins’ house and spend the afternoon with her.”
“Muh-om,” I exclaimed, “I can’t go to Mrs. Perkins!”
“Caddie, don’t be silly. Mrs. Perkins is a perfectly lovely old lady.”
“I hate Mrs. Perkins! She’s so old and crotchety, mom!”
“Caddie!” My mother’s voice was shocked. “You shouldn’t speak of her like that! She’s your elder and deserves your respect and consideration. And frankly, honey, I don’t think there is much else you can do, unless you want to sit on the doorstep and wait until your father gets home, which will probably not be for hours.”
“Maybe I will,” I cried, scowling. “Anyway, what’s it to you, you and dad don’t care what I do. You’re never around when I need you!” Angrily, I slammed the cell phone shut and shoved it into my pocket.

Immediately I felt sorry for the way I’d acted, knowing I had hurt my mother by what I’d said. I tried to assuage the guilt I felt growing in my chest by enumerating the times my dad hadn’t shown up for my recital or my mom had arrived half an hour later to pick me up from soccer practice. When that didn’t work, I thrust my hands into my jean pockets and kicked a few stones that were scattered about on the driveway. Brushing my bangs away from my face, I slammed my bag down onto the doorstep and slumped down beside it, pulling out my iPod and plugging the headphones into my ears.

For a while I just sat there, listening to some loud music which seemed to coincide with my dark mood. I can do this, I thought glumly. I’ll just chill out here till my dad comes home…I tried not to think about the fact that it might be hours until my father’s meeting ended, and even longer till he finally came home. I think that even if my father hadn’t gotten home till midnight or later, I would have stuck to my resolve and remained on those steps the entire afternoon, if it hadn’t started raining at that moment. Although at the time I curst the quickly falling raindrops vehemently, now, I thank heaven for sending them plip-plopping onto my head that memorable afternoon.

To be continued . . .

5 comments:

BenTheBear said...

its great so far.
just one thing... the Perkins are a Family from our church, you know the ones who did the enthronement thingy

Anonymous said...

I really love it, Anna! Keep it up. Boy, it's been long since I've been in contact with you!

Anna said...

Emily!! You are right, it has been ages since I heard from you!!! Aww, I'm sorry I never email you anymore, chatting buddy!! =( Thanks so much, I'm so glad you like it!!! <333

Thanks Ben!!!! I'm glad you like it!! lol, ohh yeah. The people who helped with the Enthronement! Oh well, "Perkins" is a common name!! lol

xoxo
anna

Anonymous said...

Awesome Anna! Gee, I'd better get back to posting too huh? TTYL!
POST MORE SOON!! lol

:)

helene said...

Oooh, awesome! <3333