Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Part Five of In The Search of Elves

Here's the next part! And here's the last part I posted, just in case you don't know what's going on. Tell me what you think! Thanks!


Grandfather, Mother, and Father looked at her in surprise.

"Uh, Elsa, why are you not in your bed, dear?" asked Mother looking at the excited Elsa.

Elsa ignored the question and begged to go. "Please? Can't I?"

"Goodness!" said Mother "I've never seen a child so eager in all my life."

"Elsa" said her Father sternly "We don't know if we're really going to do it. And even if we were, we wouldn't send a child!"

"So send a grown up and let me tag along."

"I don't think you realize how dangerous this really is."

"I do! And I don't care. It would be a great deal better then to stay in this old place and work every day."

"You know." said her Mother "Out of everyone, a child is the least specious. If you want to keep this a secret mission, a child is a good person to send."

"But we can't send her off alone! Have you all gone mad?"

"No, I'm just telling you the facts."

Then Grandfather broke in. "Would an old Grandfather and a little girl draw much attention on the road? Because I don't think they would. Do you?"

"Are you volunteering to go?" asked Father

"Well now, I suppose I just did..."

"I say let them go." said Mother "It would do Elsa good to have a change of things."

"Do you realize what dangers are out there? Not to mention the danger of just escaping the village!" Father took a deep breath "Elsa, I want to do what's best for you. And I just don't think it's a good idea to send you off on this. If a child much search, let Fabry go. I mean you no disrespect, Elsa, but she's stronger then you and less likely to be caught. Elsa, I really can't let you go."

"Fabry wouldn't go." whispered Elsa "She's never believed in elves. And she wouldn't now. But I truly believe in them. And you know it."

Father turned to Grandfather. "What made you change your mind?"

"Elsa did. When she charged in here like that she was the spitting image of Alana. In both words and looks."

Alana had been his wife, Elsa's Grandmother, but she had died several years ago. She had been badly injured by falling of the roof of her master's house. Her master had forced her to fix it, and when she hadn't done it fast enough, he had whipped her across the back, causing her to fall. Alana had strongly believed in elves and magic all her life.

"Yes, Elsa looked just like dear Alana when she did what she just did. And Alana would want to do exactly what Elsa's begging for now."

The room grew very quite. Elsa watched her Father carefully. Hoping that he'd change his mind.

3 comments:

helene said...

Oh, it's so sad about Alana! But a story has to have sadness or it won't be good. Post more soon! It's fantabulous!

helene said...

Poor Alana! But Mary-Catherine's right there has to be some sadness in every story. And I really like that part too, Kateri!

Anonymous said...

Oops that was me, Emily. Sorry. Heheheh.