Tuesday, October 21, 2008

School Assignment

This is an assignment I just wrote for school in creative writing. First in this week I read:

The Manly Life
By Henry Van Dyke

Four things a man must learn to do
If he would make his record true:
To think without confusion clearly;
To love his fellow men sincerely;
To act from honest motives purely;
To trust in God and Heaven securely.


I was told to write my thoughts about it. They gave me some other quotes:

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night and the day
Thou canst not be false to any man.
- Hamlet

I was also given:

You learn to speak by speaking, to study
by studying, to run by running, to work by working;
in just the same way, you learn to love by loving.
- St. Francis De Sales

And so I wrote:

Both quotes, from Hamlet and St. Francis De Sales are similar to "The Manly Life." For example:
"This above all, to thine own self, be true"
Or
"Thou canst not be false to any man." -Hamlet
And
"in just the same way, you learn to love by loving." -St. Francis De Sales

They both make the same points and advice as in "The Manly Life."

4 comments:

Anna said...

Don't you just adore good quotes? One of my favorite books to read when I'm in a thinking-mood is Quotes to Live By, a book where people pick their favorite quotes, adages and sayings, and write essays on them, how they help them to be good people, what lessons they taught them, and how they live by them. :)

Emily Froula said...

It's excellent, Mary-catherine!

helene said...

Thank you!
Yes, Anna, I can't get over quotes. They are so awesome!

Anonymous said...

Aren't quotes great? I myself, give quotes every day to people asking my advice!

Here's a good one.

"If you have a question, ask a professor!"

I love your work, by the way.

Sincerely,
Professor James Duhicky