Monday, December 15, 2008

Chapter 13!

Here's some more of The First Mate. I always liked this chapter, isn't Johnny funny?



Chapter 13: Sorrows

The Ransom had lost a few men, including Mitch Snarle and Old Buck, but this did not seem to dampen the crew's excitement very much.

Jamison was laughing as he counted his earnings and looked upon his loot.

Sarah watched him from the corner of the ship. Jamison spotted her. "Didn't care for the raid eh?" She shook her head. "Well, better get used to it. We'll do this a few more times while you're on board."

Sarah noticed Jamison's right arm was dripping with blood. Yet he didn't seem to notice it, only once he loot was safely locked away in his private cabin did he care for the wound. Many others at earned injuries too, witch Sarah was called upon to help doctor. She found this the worst job yet, and it often took her breath away just to look upon the deadly wounds.

The night after the raid was a long one. Once Sarah was free to go to bed, she was too horrified with the images of what she had seen to fall asleep. Laying with her hand upon her bag of gold, she finally, after hours, fell asleep.

Sarah, of course, had terrible dreams that night, and more then once she awoke in a cold sweat, shaking and scared. One time after she had been awakened from a night mare, she found herself so horrified and upset, she began to cry.She longed for her sweet home more then she had ever before. Sarah was so lost in her agony, she didn't hear the heavy footsteps coming down into the hold.

"What did I tell you?" said Johnny Terror quietly "I knew she'd be upset."

"So what?" asked Jamison "She didn't take the raid too well. She's probably never seen a drop of blood in her life till now. No wonder she's all freaked out."

"She's crying."

"Yeah? What about it?"

"She thinks there nobody on the ship who cares about her."

"Well, she's probably right."

"No, there is somebody who cares about her. She just doesn't know it yet."

"And who could that be?"

"You."

"Me? What are you talking about, kid?"

"You know darn well what I'm talking about, Jamie."

"Don't call me Jamie!"

"So...Go on..."

"Go on and do what?"

"Go comfort her, Jamie! The poor lass is crying her heart out!"

"Are you crazy, kid? You had two many beers didn't you?"

"No! I only had one, or wait...was it two? Maybe three, I forget. But anyway, go on!"

"No! If its so important, johnny, go do it yourself!"

"Me? Are you mad? No, Jamie Dread, this is for you to do. I can tell you really, deep down inside, want to do it. You're secretly longing to have a word with her. So give in! Go talk to Sarah!"

Jamison sighed. "You know what, Johnny?"

"What?"

"You're really annoying."

"Well, thank you!"

"Its not a good thing."

"I know..."

"You're a strange kid." said Jamison shaking his head "But you're right. Yeah, ok, maybe I do what to talk with her. But you know what? Its never gonna work. To her, I'm the devil. I'm the reason she's here right now. And to tell you the truth, I don't think she can ever forgive me."

3 comments:

Emily Froula said...

Wow! I love it, Kateri! Jonny is funny! I wonder if Jamison will ever talk to Sarah. Please post more soon!

helene said...

Ooh, I sense some romance comin'!

Anna said...

awww, poor Jamie!! You're right MC, I think I can smell some romance just around the corner!!! hehe.