Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Pirate Story!!!!! More of it!

Here's some more! Sorry its so long!!!!



Chapter 7: Card Game

Once the sun began to set, Jamison led Sarah out of the village back to the old dirty docks. Sarah took one long look at the shore, knowing she'd never see land again for a year.

She took it all in, the setting sun, the little shops, the people tired and happy heading home after a day's hard work...

"Come on!" yelled Jamison "Get aboard!"

Closing her eyes Sarah sighed and turned to board the ship.

That night, lying in the hold, she fell asleep to the rocking of the ship. In her dreams she was free and back home.

Above her, on the deck, Jamison and the Captain were discussing the ship's plans and their course.

"So we'll plan to raid a few ships on our way, Captain?"

"Yes, if you think we can do it."

"I know we can. This is the best crew we've had yet. And we need the money."

"Not if we find Eddie's treasure."

Jamison laughed. "We're still looking for that eh?"

"Aye, Jamison, that we are."

"Whatever you say, Captain. You know best."

Captain Frite nodded, and took a long breath on his pipe. At last he spoke, looking Jamison in the eye.

"So, Jamison, what do you make of that girl you picked up? I hear she has quite a spirit."

Jamison laughed. "Aye, aye, that she does. But we'll soon, you know, break her in."

The Captain now laughed, an evil cruel sound. "That you had better, my boy! Slavers don't like slaves with character..." he paused "I hope her beauty won't distract you from your duty. I hope it won't.... conflict with what needs to be done. You know, like how she needs to be treated... She is not part of the crew, lad, she is cargo. You can't spoil a slave, Jamison."

"You think I don't know how to handle her? Come now, Captain, who has been in charge of our prisoners for nearly five years now?"

"I don't not trust you, Jamison. I merely wondering what's going on. After all, tis' a first time we've let a slave roam our ship. Tell me, Jamison, why don't you shackle her?"

Jamison didn't answer.

The Captain continued, "And why did you let her come ashore? Jamison, you are more then just my first mate, you are a close friend. I just want to know, what's going on with ya?"

Jamison flashed with anger. "What do you mean? Nothing is wrong and nothing is going on, Captain!"

"Alright, matey, alright. I trust you. You may go now, lad." then he whispered to himself "The sooner we sell the lass the better."

The next morning it was raining. Not storming, just raining. Little chores had to be done, and that left Sarah plenty of free time. Feeling bored, she went to the galley. A handful of pirates were playing cards, while others talked, whittled, and threw knives at a target on the galley wall.

Cardshark won a huge pile of gold after another. This lead to all sorts of arguments among the pirates who had lost. "Well, that's a good day's work!" he declared grabbing his piles of gold.

Jamison came over to the table holding a knife in his teeth and shuffling a deck of cards.

Most of the crew was broke, but a handful of players joined the game, Johnny Terror, Mitch Snarle, Old Buck, and Arnold Beer.

"Oh come on!" said Johnny "We need one more player to make this a real good game!"

Without thinking, Sarah called out, "I'll join! Please! Can't I?"

They all turned and looked at her in surprise.

"A gal?" said Old Buck "I don't think so..."

"Do ya even know how to play?" asked Arnold Beer

"Well, no." admitted Sarah "But couldn't one of you teach me?"

"Eh, come on!" said Johnny "Let her play! We need at least one more person..."

"I don't care if she plays or not." said Mitch "So I say we leave the descion up to our good First Mate, Jamie Dread!"

"Don't call me Jamie!" snarled Jamison "And I don't know. I don't think its right for slaves to play with us."

"Slaves?" thundered Skinner "Let the gal have some fun! She ain't a slave till we've sold her!"

"Well, I own her, don't I?" said Jamison glaring

"Come now, Jamie, don't be so hard-hearted." pleaded Skinner

"Don't call me Jamie! And sure, whatever, let her play! What do I care? She'll be out first round anyway."

Sarah grinned and joined the group. She was surprised about how patiently they taught her how to play. Even Jamison was nice about it. Sarah didn't know what to make of him. Almost sweet one minute and sour the next. Sarah did find him dashing, but what were looks when somebody kidnapped you?

When Sarah got hold of the game, Jamison dealt out the cards and they started. Sarah, of course, had no money to bet. But all the crew said it was fine, for she would be out first anyway.

But it was Mitch who fell out first, and next went Arnold Beer. After them, Old Buck lost, leaving Johnny Terror, Jamison, and Sarah. It was clear the three of them were having the best of luck.

"I can't believe you've stayed in this long." said Jamison taking a quick look at his cards.

"Neither can I." said Johnny "And you've never played this game before?"

"Never picked up a card in all my life till now." said Sarah

"Beginners luck." remarked Cardshark watching them "That, and the fact that you two boys can't stink at playing a game of cards! You can't seem to win anything without loaded dice or marked cards. Too busy playing with that junk to master areal game. Well, now its coming back to bite ya! Because a little lady is beating ya both!"

This brought laughter from nearly everyone. Only Johnny and Jamison didn't think it funny at all.

After another twenty minutes of play, Johnny fell out.

"Come on, matey!" begged Johnny to Jamison "Just finish her off and win the game! Please, oh please, don't let a girl win!"

Sarah laughed as she won the next hand. Jamison glared. She won the next hand too, and the one after that. Slapping down their cards furiously, they played on.

Finely Jamison won the next couple hands and soon they were even.

"That a boy!" cried Old Buck "Just win the next few and pull away!"

The First Mate playing cards with a lady was exciting enough. But the First Mate nearly losing to a lady, well, nobody wanted to miss that! Soon everyone was gathered around he old wooden table watching the two battle eachother at a game of cards.

3 comments:

helene said...

Oh, who will win???

Emily Froula said...

That is excellent, Kateri!! I love it!!!! I wonder who will win, too.

Anna said...

hehe this is great. I want to know who wins too, although I have my guesses. ;)