Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Chapter 14....

Remember how funny and annoying Johnny was in the last chapter? Well, he's in this chapter again too! Please, tell me what you think! Jamison may have started to like Sarah quite a bit in the last chapter, but of course, he's denying everything in this one! Here's chapter 14!!! Tell me what you think.



Chapter 14: In Charge of The Galley

Sarah, for the first time in weeks, was feeling very happy as she scrubbed the grimy decks. She had found that, even in the worst places, you could be happy. And today, for no particular reason, she was feeling joyful.

The warm sun beat down upon the deck and Sarah's back. She found the work actually pleasant in the sun. Jamison had not been so gruff and angry today, in fact, he had yet to say a cross word to her.

Once she scrubbing was done, she emptied out the buckets of dirty water, and went to the galley to help prepare dinner. She was surprised to find Skinner leaning against a table, with no dinner being made.

"What's wrong, Skinner?" she asked

"Ah, I'm just tired, I guess. Why are you here? Is it dinner time already?"

"Aye! Tis' nearly six o'clock!"

"Ah, well, I guess I'd better to get to work." he seemed to have trouble getting to his feet.

"Oh! I'll help you! I'll do most of the work, alright, you do the simple things."

"That's might kind of you, Sarah. I just don't know what's gotten into me today."

It was clear Skinner was very tired, and he seemed to have no appetite at dinner. The next evening, he was even worse.

"I'll do it all by myself." said Sarah "You go rest, Skinner. Don't worry, I can do it."

"If you say so..." said Skinner tiredly "It's a might kind thing..." And he left the galley to his bunk.

Sarah got to work right away. She sighed when she saw what Skinner had laid out. Salt pork and hard tack was so...plain, not to mention Sarah was pretty darn tired of it.

"I'll make a real dinner." said Sarah to herself "A real home-like dinner." she glanced at the clock "Yikes! I'd better get working!" Sarah had helped at church dinners and county fairs, so she knew how to make a good, fast, large meal. She didn't have much to work with, but she found she could make do.

Biscuits were put in the oven instead of dry hard tack, and the fresh fish was cut, neatly and cleanly. Sarah would have nothing to do with the heads or guts that Skinner often turned into sauce, instead she tossed them over board. Once the fish was cooking, a barrel of apples caught her eye.

She only had a little time till dinner, but apple pie would be so good... Rushing she went to find a pie pan and some clean flour. (Often the flour aboard had worms in it.)

Soon the crew began coming into the galley.

"What's taking so long?" whined Arnold Beer "Its already half past six!"

"Where's that lazy, good for nothing, Skinner?" demanded Jamison

"He's not feeling good," replied Sarah reaching for the tin plates "So I told him to rest."

"Oh no!" cried David Rock "The slave girl made dinner by herself! Heck knows what she made! I bet you my head she put rat poison in it! We'll all be dead by midnight, I tell you!"

"Be quite, Dave." said Johnny Terror "Ya talk too much, mate."

But, by the end of dessert, the whole crew wanted Sarah to do the cooking from then on.

"There's another reason to make up with Sarah." whispered Johnny Terror to Jamison "She's makes good pie."

Jamison shook his head.

"Come on!" cried Johnny "She'd make a pretty darn good wife, for you! Beautiful, obedient, smart, and good in the kitchen. Come now, Jamie, she's the one for you!"

"Bother me any more, Johnny boy." said Jamison pointing a knife toward Johnny "And I'll have ya walk the plank! I have no feelings for the lass at all! Git' that into yer head! Ya hear?"

"But, but, I thought you said you was wanting to talk...?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about, kid! Now, quite, lad, I don't want to listen to you any more."

"You know what, Jamie? That's the problem with ya, you never listen to me!"

3 comments:

Emily Froula said...

Oh, I love it, Kateri! Your writing is so good and exciting!! Post more soon! :)

helene said...

Same here!

Anna said...

lol! I love it! Johnny is really funny. hehe. Do post more soon!