Monday, January 5, 2009

Chap 19 (In Which Jamison Becomes Even Nicer!)

Jamison ain't so bad, is he?!? And just you wait for the next chapter...you won't believe what happens!!!!

Chapter 19

It took weeks, but Jamison finely broke away from the illness. But it had changed him. No longer was he always angry. No longer did he treat Sarah as a slave. No longer did he get into horrible fights for no reason. Really, had had become a very good young man.

The crew noticed it right away.

"He's so happy." remarked Cardshark "Its scary, really."

"The sickness never left him." said David Rock "It just went to his head!"

"Well, I sure don't care what's happened." said Arnold Beer "He's mighty nice now. Not once have I heard him curse, or yell at anybody. A real relief after all we've had to put up with."

The Captain soon noticed too, and on night, he summoned Jamison to his cabin.

"Are you alright, lad?" he asked.

"Great, sir."

"I've been noticing... you're not as..."

"Rude? Selfish? Angry? I was all those things, and more, but I'm not now. Or, at least I try not to be."

"Why?"

"You might say..." he laughed "You might say I've finally grown up. I see what's right and what's wrong now. Man, I'm ashamed it took me so darn long to find out the right way to live."

The Captain looked at him strangely, at least he spoke, and when he did, the words were heavy and slow. "And tell me, what is right, and what is wrong?"

"All the killing of innocent people, sir, that's wrong. Stealing, that's wrong too. Lying, cheating, smuggling, looting, kidnapping, its all wrong, sir."

The Captain looked angry. And he turned to face Jamison. "And what of slavery. my boy? Is that wrong too?"

"Aye, Captain. It is."

"So..." said the Captain confused "What will you be doing with the gal?"

"I'll return her to her home as soon as I can. I, myself, will pay for it."

The Captain pulled at his beard. He was clearly upset and confused. "You're, you're done with us then, lad?"

Jamison shrugged. "I'll do anything you want, so long as it isn't wrong."

"But you won't be doing a real dirty pirate work, will ya, boy?"

"No, sir."

The Captain was quite for a long time. At last he spoke, and when he did, it was as if it hurt him. "What changed you, Jamison, me boy?"

"Sarah did." answered Jamison honestly "She just made me see how much, I, all of us, were hurting other people."

The Captain sighed, and looked out of his window onto the gray sea. "Alright, lad." he sighed "You may go now. I've heard enough."

All the crew, except for the crabby David Rock, started to slowly, follow Jamison's good example. Sarah was greatly pleased with this, and told them all so.

Slowly but surely, each day, they got a little better, a little nicer, and a little kinder. Sarah found herself seeing Jamison differently, along with the rest of the crew.

"They really are a good lot." she thought to herself "Really, they are."

2 comments:

Emily Froula said...

Wow! Jamison, now, isn't bad at all! I'm SO glad he changed to a nice man! Very glad! But I'm also so excited of what will happen next, post more soon! :) :D <3

helene said...

Same here! lol <3<3<3 :D