Monday, January 12, 2009

A Chapter with a Duel (Very Exciting stuff)

Tell me what ya think mateys!


Chapter 23:

The next morning was bright and warm, the sun shone, lighting up the whole sea, and casting away the darkness that hung over the island.

"We're setting sail by noon!" yelled Captain Frite "Prepare to leave, boys! We'll board the ship in about an hour!"

Jamison threw the Captain and evil look. "What about Sarah?"

"We're going with or without her. And you, nor anybody else, is to go looking for her. We've got work to do!"

"In other words, we're leaving her here to die."

"Well, if she returns from her little...adventure, then she can board, I don't care. But if she doesn't turn up, well, that's that."

"How could you...?"

"I'm a real man, Jamison!" thundered the captain, turning on his peg-leg "I do what right for me. And I'm not afraid to get my hands a little bloody for a good reward."

Jamison wrapped his hand around the handle of his sword. The Captain saw this at once.

"You're a fool to fight me, Jamison Dread."

"Am I?"

"Yes."

"Well that's strange...because I thought you were a fool to fight me! To the death Captain, to the death!" yelled Jamison drawing his sword.

Sarah looked around at the Indians nervously. The Chief stood up next to her, and turned to the crowd, and began speaking loudly in their own language, then he turned to Sarah. They had decided her fate at last.

"What are you going to do with me?" she demanded.

"You will have honor. A great honor." said the warrior. He turned to the guards, and told them to release her. Then he turned to a group of ladies, and began to talk quickly in their own language. The ladies nodded, then took Sarah by the hand.

Jamison's sword met Captain Frite's with a loud crash that echoed throughout the beach.

"I didn't want it to end like this." said Jamison angerly "But I see now that you are cruel. Cruel and heartless."

"At least I am not a coward." crowed the Captain.

"Coward? I am no coward!" yelled Jamison, meeting the Captain's blows.

The Ransom's crew watched in surprise and amazement as their First Mate and Captain fought, knowing one of them would die.

Sarah was led into a small hut. There, the ladies dressed her in the style of all the other Indian girls. Her hair was washed and combed, and she was given a crown of flowers. Beautiful golden jewelry was placed on her arms and around her neck. Then, they painted her face with a thick black paint, two streaks under and over her eyes.

When they were done, Sarah looked at herself. The dress was modest enough, but had no sleeves and showed her shoulders more then she liked. It barely covered her legs at all, she tried to pull it down, but it was too short. She grimaced at what her Mother would say if she saw her in such an outfit.

Jamison fought back, ignoring the Captain's curses and yells. He focused in on one thing: Winning. He had to win this. It was life or death.

Jamison did have the advantage. He was much younger, and he stronger and quicker. And he was fighting for something that really mattered to him.

Captain Frite was much older, and missing one is legs, and a hand, though he peg-leg and hook were just as good as real body parts for him. Frite had been in many fights and duels before this one, and had learned a great deal of tricks.

This made an amazing match, and incredible duel. The Captain and the First Mate, who had once been such friends, were now enemies, and one of them had to loose.

2 comments:

Emily Froula said...

Wow! I can't beleave that Jamison turned good and now is fighting the captain!

And, about, Sarah, I'd hate to ware those clothes, and have that paint on my face! It'd be uncomfortable, I mean, wouldn't you think so?

helene said...

Aaaaaahhh!!!!! Stressful!!!!!!